Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I'm going to be a Roadie for Invisible Children!

Hello Friends,

This post has two main functions. First, I would like to give everyone an update on life, and second, ask for your support. I would like to let you all know that from January 10th until May 13th, I am going to be volunteering as a Roadie for the NGO Invisible Children. What this means for me is that I will move to San Diego for 5 weeks, take a crash course in Roadieism, then spend three months living in a van showing a new Invisible Children documentary twice a day at high schools, colleges, and places of worship. I don't know which region I will be traveling in, but either way I'm very excited!

For those of you who aren't familiar with Invisible Children, what it is, is an American NGO that works with people in the Acholi region of Uganda, as well as Southern Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo. For the last 20 + years, a rebel group known as the the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) has been terrorizing Northern Uganda, and more recently Sudan and the DRC. The group says it has a spiritual backing and its purpose is to overthrow the current government in Uganda, but is notorious for ethnic cleansing of the Acholi people, as well as abducting children and using them as child soldiers and sex slaves. Here is a small profile about the group and the conflict.

Invisible Children is an NGO created by 3 southern California kids, which works to educate the US on what is occurring in Uganda, Sudan, and DRC. IC also builds schools in Northern Uganda, creates rehabilitation centers for formerly abducted children, and fosters a sustainable market for those affected by the war by selling jewelry and clothes made by Ugandans. The original documentary was first screened in 2003. Here is the link for the IC website


As a roadie, I will be volunteering from January 10th to May 13th! IC hooks us up with housing, but the rest, including transportation and food, is on me. So with that being said, IC has given all roadies a goal to fundraise $1,500.00 to pay for food for the next 4 months. I think this goal is very attainable, and I'm hoping that my friends and family will help me reach my fundraising goal. Granted I have over 1,000 facebook friends (all very close friends lol), if each of them gave one dollar, I would be well on my way to my to raising 1,500 big ones. This probably won't happen, but what I am getting at is every little bit counts. I mean that. If you have a dollar you can give, please do. This can be your holiday charity donation, your tithe, your zakat, anything! It will all be greatly appreciated! Here is the link to my fundraising page.

To give some context to what this position means to me, it was a group of roadies who came to CU in 2006 that introduced me to IC, social justice, and a world outside me own. Ever since I saw the documentary in October that year (I even remember the room, and am still very very close with the people showing it) my life has been radically changed, and much more driven. I know this roadie position is something that can be life changing, and can effect a plethora of people, both Ugandans and American youth alike. Becoming a roadie for IC has been a goal of mine since I saw the documentary, and having the opportunity to do so now is something I am so grateful for. Everything just fell into place, and I know I am supposed to do this. The donated money won't go directly to Ugandans, but will be used to make sure that the voices and stories of affected children will be heard. We have already spoken loud enough for the US congress to pass a bill! So please if you are interested, or know someone who may be interested in donating, click on my link, or send my link to those who are. Thank you so much for your support, and I promise to keep updating as much as possible to the blog!

If you have any questions, want to know more, want to get involved, or just catch up, email me at mulvanyc@gmail.com. if you want to talk on the phone, email me your number (if I don't have it) and we can chat!

Thank you all sooo sooo much! Happy Holidays!

No comments: