Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Images of the Sunshine Network Massage School in Lahu Village


There is no lack of abundance of massage in the northern region of Thailand. While one can get a massage anywhere around the country, professionals and interested parties alike have begun to gravitate to the north to receive, and learn, the ancient trade. For myself, I decided to mix my massage with a bit of off-the-grid living, heading to a course in a Lahu Village between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai (run by the Sunshine Network). Through rooster wake-ups to veggies and khow neeow for every meal, living in the small village was an adventure every minute of the day. Enjoy some photos from the 12-day immersion course.




My beautiful lodgeing



The main cafe in town, fresh with some new supplies




The view from the top of the world




Early morning fog on the mountain. Sounds like a folk song to me




The ensuing monsoon




more and more rain




One of the guard dogs




An inhospitable house guest




The course in full swing




Action shot!




Letting my healing flow




Breakfast each morning




Jefar looking like he has a little back pain




V for Vendetta?




Ain't no party like a Lahu party




"Coming to save, the mother f*cking day, yeah!"




Our group on the massage-free afternoon outing





Lahu surfing




Our thrown




ditching our massage course for tango





How I feel when I see sticky rice and veggies on the 10th day




The mangy cat not happy with paparazzi




Lahu at its finest




A rare glimpse at Beetle Nut teeth




spooky




Massage school in all its glory

Happy travels!



2 comments:

Damien said...

Grat pics! I think that beetle nut guy came to our clinic in Myanmar !

Damien said...

Grat pics! I think that beetle nut guy came to our clinic in Myanmar !