Tuesday, July 30, 2013

21 of my favorite photos from a year abroad



In May of 2012 I quit my job to embark on what I thought would be a six month trip to Southeast Asia. I'm now currently beyond the 12 month mark, and no ending is apparent in the foreseeable future. This past year and change has been one of the most inspirational I've ever lived. Also, this past year has been one of the most challenging and eye-opening. While all the things I've seen, done, and experienced will most likely never be replicated, they will be remembered and impacting. Traveling comes with a lot of time for introspection and reflection, and if done right, the lessons learned while abroad will stay with us for a lifetime.

While everyone has their own medium for reflection, sometimes it is good to branch out and try different methods. I prefer to write, but recently I've been gaining a lot from looking through and editing past photos. Though photos can never really do justice to the places we've been, the people we've met, and the things we've done, spending time with them can help us remember. Here are a few of my favorite photos from the past year abroad. Enjoy!



My first motorbike, purchased in Thailand, driven through Laos and Cambodia. Here she is in Vientienne in Laos right before I got pulled over and almost forced to pay a bribe.




Muang Noi is a tiny town in northeastern Laos. My 4 days there were spent in incredible scenery with an incredible travel partner.




A newly discovered Beatles sex tape




The Prabanan Hindu Temple in Jogjakarta, Indonesia at sunset



Take 2




A selfie on a scooter ferrie from mainland Malaysia to Pulau Penang




A beautiful view of Penang from a top a Chinese Temple




One of the many temples on the island of Penang, in Malaysia




Don't be tricked, these guys are bastards. Monkeys outside of Batu Cave in Kuala Lumpur, Malyasia




Young monks braving the heat in Bagan, Myanmar




Transporting a mirror in Mandalay, Myanmar




Sledding in Nong Kiaw, Laos




An abandoned French settlement in southern Cambodia




Inspirational street art in Melbourne, Australia




One of the three multicolored lakes on the island of Flores in Indonesia




This little girl sat quietly in her box as a group of 5 little boys her age went nuts on all the tourists. 4000 Islands in southern Laos




Some people have trucks, others have 125cc scooters. Bandung, Cambodia




Paradise. Koh Russei, Cambodia




Monkeying around in Sumatra, Indonesia




The tail end of a lovely sunset in Muang noi


No comments: