Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Little Things in Life

Though I'm only a self-proclaimed writer, story teller, author, and poet, I'd like to think those in our trade have a good way of looking at life. For example, to some, a trip to the laundromat could be just that... a trip to the laundromat. But for me, its an adventure. I notice the sounds of the machines in turn with the noise of traffic in the street. I catch the eyes of patrons trying to catch the eyes of other patrons. I watch the bus stop interactions through the window to my right, and the under-payed, under-slept manager scurry in circles like the clothes in the dryer. I watch all these seemingly meaningless things occur and morph together, making a simple experience anything but ordinary. And thats the beauty of an eye for simple things. It shows that even the smallest occurrences in human existence are only small if we perceive them in that way. With the eye of a writer, the wait at the bus stop becomes a visual spectacle.  The walk to school becomes a gourmet tasting for touch. The minutes preceding class begin to resemble beautiful music. With the eye of a writer, one learns to train the senses, and experience the world in a more holistic manner. Each step is felt. Each word is heard. Each moment is bliss.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Now I feel bad. My trips to the laundromat in college were wasted playing pinball.

Sue Panus said...

Chris,
I just caught up on some of your blogs. Don't let Heather kid you because she didn't go to the laundrymat in college she brought all her laundry home to me. Just kidding I hated laundry. I liked your Delicate Balance blog and Aunt Madline wrote a song about that. It was called:
The Rose and the Thorn
I'm often weary of the rain
and wish the sun would shine
Although I know we need the rain
It's in his plan devine
Lord give me rain and sunshine too
and give me joy and pain
So I may feel what others do
and help them Christ to gain.

Keep on keeping on.
Love Aunt Susie